Harold and Maude

Other than Roger Ebert and the New York Times, this movie is a beloved cult classic. Last night, a Sunday, I finally had little else to do but torture my little teenage sister as she attempted some last-minute homework for her least-beloved teacher. I decided a little nostalgia was in order.

I had forgotten how often this film made me laugh. The expressions Bud Cort (as Harold) makes to the camera sent me into paroxysms. The anti-war jokes, the auto theft, the priest's marital advice. . . riotous.

This time around, I noticed a peculiar visual balance, and not just when Harold imitated his psychiatrist. The scenes, when not asymmetrical head-shots and close-ups, were often balanced symmetrically between either opposing symbols (order and chaos, death and life, horror and humor, etc), or contained a symmetrical object that symbolized some kind of bridge between two oppositions. This fits brilliantly with the films odd-couple themes and extreme images.

I used to hesitate to recommend this movie because of the suicide themes and the January/December romance ick factor, but I'm withdrawing my reservations. See this movie.
Harold and Maude

Comments

  1. I totally watched this like 2 Sundays ago for the first time. It's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first time!? I've been slacking. . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chicago

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Brigham City