Prince Charming

Although it's a rather silly movie, I found Prince Charming, well, charming. I usually enjoy watching Christina Applegate, and in this film she was continuing a common plot/trope from an earlier film. She plays host to a time traveler and finds herself learning from him the meaning of love/chivalry. So far, so good. Add to that Bernadette Peters, a few swordfights, and several off-color jokes, and I'll be diverted for a few hours at least.

Thinking about Christina Applegate, though, does she always wear such dark lipstick? I think she might seem a different character with less noticeable colors.

The medieval scenes were quite a bit hammed, but I don't think they were aiming for authenticity (it wouldn't have hurt the film if they had). My little sister complained about the animated frogs, but I didn't have any more of an issue with them than I did that first bit of acting. It was all generally of the same ilk.

I adored Bernadette Peters, and I thought she and her acting troupe did quite well. Her character was rather simple, but it fit the plot nicely, and she struck just the right chord of jealous girlfriend, Shakespearean ham, and aging seductress. I enjoyed her scenes very much.

The prince must have been type-cast for his boyish looks and long hair. To be fair, though, his character was badly written. The final reconciliation required that his character change more significantly than the plot allowed. Perhaps the writers were sparing us from scenes in which his inferior acting would detract from intended character development. Or perhaps they simply didn't think about it at all.

I think that actor might have been more at home in something more gritty, or techno-futuristic.

Martin Short, Andrea Martin, and Billy Connolly all gave excellent performances, but they are also strongly proven actors, and live up to their reputations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Brigham City

Lost in Austen