UHF

Besides the totally outdated technology prevalent throughout the entire film, this movie grated on my nerves precisely every time Al pulled out his despairing or angry screech. It was exactly like watching a two-year-old throw a tantrum (and I would know, having spent this last weekend with SEVEN of the most adorable human rodents in the universe), but to be fair, the effect was probably intentional.

Don't think I didn't love the rest. The movie was really funny. The parodies of then-popular movie franchises were just high-budget enough to be unmistakable, and just dramatic enough to be almost flattering. I particularly enjoyed Conan the Librarian's accent, the Rambo parody (lovely muscle-suit), and the opening Indiana Jones sequence - complete with a lovely imitation of Harrison Ford's deadpan acting.

The plot was thoroughly predictable which made the characters themselves a parody of the romantic comedy as well. It's either brilliant or sad, depending on how broadly or subtly you think Weird Al writes parody. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think I'd describe it as thorough, rather than heavy-handed.

Comments

  1. "Timmy gets a drink from the Fire Hose!" That scene taught me a valuable lesson in water safety at a young impressionable age.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fountain

Lost in Austen

Salt