Call Me Madam

Call Me Madam This forgotten classic has a really amazing cast, including Donald O'Connor, Vera-Ellen, and George Sanders (a personal favorite), and if you can fast-forward through the long, boring, Irving Berlin ballads, it's a very fun movie. The dance numbers were great, I'm just not a fan of melodramatic love songs.

Donald O'Connor is always brilliant. His dancing and singing are quite up to par in this film, and his character, while a little small for my taste, shows intelligence, taste, and slight self-deprecation, as well as some courage.

Poor Cosmo, though (George Sanders) was forced to smoke a cigarette just to have something to do while Ethel Merman belts out another ballad. And I'm certain his voice was dubbed. I'm not going to bother to look that up. I love the guy anyway.

Anyway, if you're a fan of musicals, you might give this one a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

Salt