Pirates of Penzance

Gilbert & Sullivan - Pirates of Penzance / Anthony Warlow, David Hobson, Australian Opera
The Opera Australia did well enough on this beautifully voiced rendition of the Gilbert and Sullivan favorite. The sets were pretty sparse, although much dedication obviously went into them. It seemed like such a small stage for the large audience, and I'm sure they dubbed applause photos after the jokes. You could judge for yourself.

I'm not sure how I felt about the Pirate King doing a Jack Sparrow imitation. It seems a logical analogy, but it may have come over a little distracting, and of course, even as good as the imitation was, all I could think was that I'd rather have been watching Johnny Depp.

The Police Sargent was short and broad, instead of being the lanky dancer from the most popular version. It made a nice change, and the man had an amazing voice. The Major General disappointed, though. Mabel sang operatically, and Frederick was thankfully, not in HD, although I'm sure he's a nice guy.

I'd say pass, and find the Linda Ronstadt version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

Salt