Evita

Evita Tragically, or perhaps predictably, Antonio Banderas's performance as Che far outshone Madonna's (she played the title character). Jonathan Pryce played a faded Juan Peron. I suspect, from what I've read, that his role in Eva Peron's story was much more politically significant than this film (and probably the broadway show) depict. Still, Peron was steeped in the political, and worked well in the chemistry of the film.

This show has such cultural significance that I can't believe it took me this long to see it. On the other hand, I reached the end of the film without being uplifted or enlightened. I think Che could have had a real effect on that, but his role was to undermine Evita worship, rather than to establish any truth in himself, especially considering the general opinion that Che could be Che Guevara, whose part in history makes him an unlikely source of truth.

Musically, this film had some significant melodies, and some real style variety, which I did admire. I'm a little biased toward Tim Rice, so I was inclined to pay more attention to the lyrics, and was not at all disappointed. It showed great sparkle and cleverness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

Salt