Three on a Match

Three on a Match [VHS] I watched this on DVD as part of the "Forbidden Hollywood Collection" and as always, enjoyed it. Although parts of it seem a little melodramatic, as a pre-code film I think it more naturally captures the essence of the age. I don't necessarily object to Hollywood code, but it definitely had an effect, and you can see that when you compare the film eras.

The story is a melodramatic cautionary tale for women, but does have some minor themes of redemption and optimism. The story follows three female acquaintances from their grade-school days through marriage, and in some cases, death. I saw a strong tendency to stereotype, but I suspect that kind of grouping must have seemed necessary for the morality tale: sort of an, "if you're like this" thing.

Bette Davis plays a relatively small role, which I appreciated (I'm not a Davis fan) but all three major actresses performed beautifully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fountain

Lost in Austen

UHF