Tangled

Tangled Gloria and I both noticed that this film seemed to correct many of the errors of its predecessors. Although I got nervous as the Little Mermaid comparisons blossomed in the dark, I was able to store them tidily under my chair and enjoy the movie. (Disney's The Little Mermaid is the only film I've ever seen that actually seemed commissioned by the devil himself. Skip the condemnation, and read the book.)

With a few embellishments (for the sake of length, I'm sure), Disney sticks pretty closely with the original story, although originally, the hero is a prince, and the evil witch gouges his eyes out and throws him from the tower. Disney disnified it (again): no blood (even from the witch), no eyeless prince. I liked Rapunzel, and I especially loved how the only one truly disappointed to be a brunette was the witch (when she looked young, she looked a bit like Cher. I wondered where they were going with that, because it seemed ethnocentric).

Also in the original stories, Rapunzel's parents are commoners, and they literally steal the plant from the witch's garden. Once again, Disney felt the need to clarify the whole thing morally (what!? Oh well, like I said - they're correcting their previous errors).

I also really, really, really liked anything to do with cast-iron skillets. But seriously: don't try that at home. You can actually kill someone with them (if you can lift them).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brigham City

Chicago

X-Men Origins: Wolverine