The Guyver

The Guyver This movie fell squarely between Power Rangers and something black and white with Godzilla. It reminded me a little of Big Trouble in Little China, but in a bad way. I fully understand why nobody likes or recommends this movie. Critics won't rate it, and the audience at Rotten Tomatoes gives it a whopping 38%.

Let me tell you: the creatures defy any reasonable suspension of disbelief. They look cute. Even Doctor Who - universally known for camp and low budget - regularly invented aliens more frightening (even in the sixties!). The bad guy was slimy. Despite his admiration of the human mutations he creates (he calls them "beautiful"), he consistently molests the poor female lead. Clearly this directorial decision is meant to make us cringe and identify him as icky, but it made the character one-dimensional and inconsistent (a criticism that seems much too drop-in-the-bucket for the film as a whole).

There's more. I fell asleep. I never fall asleep. During the FIGHT scenes!

Mark Hamill, well-known for his mediocre acting skills (although his voice acting is both interesting and consistently good), actually sparkled for his brilliance. Too bad he dies miserably, and with that awkward mustache.

I think the most indicative thing I can say about the male lead (whose name, for which he is probably grateful, I never bothered to figure out), is that his hair was flat. I love the eighties. Don't see this movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

Salt