Hackers

Hackers Because it was expiring tomorrow, I thought I'd just check it out. I'm actually pretty glad I did. Although this film takes blatant advantage of several simple facts unknown to non-users back in the nineties, the sequences most unrealistic are also strictly symbolic. The movie doesn't just fill in the boring blanks with nonsense, but they don't explain that it's symbolism either, leaving those familiar with computers to scoff and roll their eyes. To them I say, "It's a movie. Get over yourselves." It's the film equivalent of impressionism. It's not at all interested in reflecting reality, but certainly engaged in capturing how the eye reflects a kind of reality.

The director paced this film differently than I'm used to. It wasn't necessarily boring, but it didn't follow the same threat/climax pattern we see in most techno-action stories. I felt that it benefited from this evenness, but sadly, not at the box office.

Jonny Lee Miller I have already admired for his performance in Emma, and even back when this film was made (1995), he did not disappoint me. Angelina Jolie played just another Angelina Jolie character. It's difficult to take her seriously when you can't stop looking at her huge lips, which is probably an audience failing, but one she has certainly taken advantage of.

The other major supporting cast played their roles quite well. Their quirky, semi-confidence worked well as a group, reminding us constantly that these were just high-school kids with high-school insecurities in well over their oily heads. Honestly, I recommend you give this film a chance, if you have the simple ability to separate art from life. If not, get back to work, all ye little men in grey suits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fountain

Lost in Austen

Salt