Rough Magic

Rough Magic The contrast between sex and romance in this film amazed me. Strong elements of real emotional romance made strong appearances and held the plot together well, and yet throughout the whole thing, in the ending especially, the director reduces that potentially epic romance to its most crass. I felt disappointed.

Russell Crowe impressed me significantly. His performance, though obviously not the focal point of the film, showed real skill and nuance. Bridget Fonda was adequate, though not at all impressive. I always enjoy watching her anyway, for some reason, even knowing that she's simply not as good as her name makes her sound.

The magic in the movie had the same problem as the romance, in a kind of profound parallel. Although it had the potential (with a slightly higher budget, I must assume) to sweep the audience off it's feet, like the romance, it was reduced to a sausage and a ring. [insert naughty joke here].

The camera work irritated me. The filming locations were nice, though.

Truly, I liked watching Russell Crowe in a dramedy. I like this lighter stuff much better than all his posing, and I think it's because as an actor, his expressions and style are really quite intense, and look better in relief than wallowing in his natural morbidity.
I honestly do recommend this film, if only for the curiosity. Just remember to hit the lights after she drops her last handkerchief.

Incidentally, you might be interested in Ebert's review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

Salt