Peggy Sue Got Married

Netflix has been throwing this film at me since I joined more than five years ago. I finally gave in and watched it. I decided it was a morality tale on the ills of wearing white suits.

Nicholas Cage is worse in this film than he was in Moonstruck (though clearly, he didn't ruin either film, to my surprise (and delight, in the case of Moonstruck)). I don't understand his voice. Did he think sounding like a cartoon all the time was a good idea? Frankly, I wouldn't hire him as a voice actor either, but I've really loved his more recent stuff, when he plays regular guys (who turn into flaming skeletons, and drink jelly-beans from a martini glass).

Ultimately, the story of Peggy Sue, who falls very ill at a twenty-year reunion and wakes up to find herself in high school in 1960, is sweet and very, very odd. My brain didn't stretch well over the first few scenes. I couldn't figure out what year it was supposed to be, and why the clothes were weird, or how old anyone was supposed to be. I eventually figured it out, though. Kathleen Turner brilliantly performs a grown woman in the life of a teenager. Things would certainly have been different.

If you're looking for a content advisory, Peggy Sue makes several morally questionable decisions, especially about sex, alcohol, and cigarettes. She makes some great social decisions, though.

I found the scene where Michael asks her to tend chickens with Beth in the hills outside of Provo slightly offensive (as it was clearly written out of ignorance), but still funny.

3/5 for enjoyment, 5/10 for recommendation. Toss a coin - you won't miss anything, or probably regret watching it either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

Salt