Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Widescreen Edition) (Harry Potter 4) Just a sidenote, I think "chalice" is a better word than "goblet," especially in this context.

This movie actually made me laugh more than the others. I'm glad. I need a light note before I launch into The Order of the Phoenix tonight.

Goblet of Fire definitely pivots the entire series. Up until this film, the series has been light, and adolescent. From this point on, from Cedric's death, it's all misery and allegory. It's a difficult note for a film to end on, and it certainly showed the strain. The ending didn't even seem bitter-sweet; it wasn't deep enough for that. It felt. . . empty, like the director was in shock when he filmed it. Like the audience was when they watched. The colorfulness of the wizarding world no longer seemed cheerful and wondrous, but turned into something a little more Tim Burton (or Edward Gorey) than the audience perhaps expected. It's dark Disney. It's a twisted childhood.

I remember loving the flying scenes, and being grateful they weren't too CGIed. I hated the time-travel thing.

Must write. OotP later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fountain

Lost in Austen

The Other Guys