The Final Cut

The Final Cut This film deserves much better acclaim than it received, although I think I can see why. The acting, directing, filming, and plot development all amaze, but the ending leaves the audience thoughtful and yet unfulfilled: depressed, even. By the end, we have come to appreciate the main character (Robin Williams), and to pity his life, which turns on two major events (one is the death of his parents, but the first is shown in the opening scenes of the film), and yet those events set him on shaky ground.

Although the DVD jacket would make this film seem more like an heroic, action film, Williams's character is not a hero, although neither are his enemies (James Caviezel). But neither are they villains. The complexity and depth in this slightly futuristic glimpse truly amazed me, and I am sorry so many of my fellow reviewers cannot see it. The DVD jacket also may mislead about the turning of the plot itself. I originally thought that the story was about some cliched secret, but the secret itself is a McGuffin.

If this film lacked anything, it is humor. None exists in it at all. No comic relief whatsoever.
Still, it's definitely worth your time. Tell me what you think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

UHF