Tristan + Isolde

Tristan and Isolde (Widescreen Edition) Okay, so I tried to watch this movie. I know - an epic tale. I have to admit, it's definitely better than Romeo & Juliet, which I truly despise. I got about fifty minutes into it, and realized where the story arc was headed. I hate tragedy. Tragedy mixed with dramatic irony just ties my stomach into horrible knots. I gave up, and now I'm watching Eloise at the Plaza. More about that later.

What I did see of the film struck me in a couple of ways. Firstly - COLOR!!! The thing was certainly shot well enough for the blood to look warm enough, and yet it had no color. I know that those camera things are sort of en vogue at the moment, but it really didn't work for me here. They're in the British Isles (or are supposed to be), and the trees weren't green, the soil wasn't brown, and the people weren't circulating blood. It looked like Hershey's syrup.

I love Sophia Myles, and whatshisname - the guy - is just fine, thanks (although I always think his cheekbones make him either sinister or sarcastic). Rufus Sewell has always been a favorite of mine. Yay. So I'm rooting for them, is my point. They did very well.

Anyway, I give anyone full permission to adore this movie, and watch it every night with a box of kleenex and a tub of ice cream. It's just not my cup of tea. If I wanted to watch inevitable misery, I'd pay more attention to my graduate applications.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

Salt