Get Smart

Get Smart (Single-Disc Widescreen Edition)I recently decided that action comedies are my favorite kind of film/television, and although this movie didn't fulfill all of my idealistic action-comedy demands, it certainly went a long way towards that. Steve Carell was really funny, and I thought Anne Hathaway finally found her niche (I know she wants to do period dramas, but her style and abilities do NOT suit that genre. To be frank, I just don't think she's good enough).

Moments, broad moments (nothing pointed, satirical, or particularly witty) made me laugh out loud in sheer delight. Some allusion had that effect (walking on water? A man in a tree. . .), and not much of the physical comedy did (Steve Carell's body double has adorable buttocks, but once you've seen Sherlock Holmes's Smarter Brother, there's no way you could beat that (well, bending over might have helped)).

Using Dwayne Johnson as the *spoiler alert* surprise, twist bad-guy was a brilliant idea. The juxtaposition from his usual role worked well in this sense, giving the film a great sense of balance and unity.

All-in-all, I wouldn't at all regret killing another hour or so on this film, but I'd probably keep my knitting nearby. It wasn't killer-cerebral, but it was interesting enough for good, solid entertainment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

Salt