Dean Spanley

DEAN SPANLEY I wasn't expecting that.

Although you can read almost the entirety of the plot in the back of the case (or the blurb at IMDB.com), moments came as a complete surprise. I was never quite sure of the characters, as back-stories blurred, and acting became more nuanced and complex.

I tell you, I think the case is badly done. All that white makes it feel like a comedy gone wrong, when this film is much more of an Edwardian period-piece (much along the same vein as Enchanted April (1992)) than a comedy, or scrooge story. The characters were less dynamic, and more . . . emergent?

I cried. Should I admit it? Although the premise is sublimely ridiculous, the story itself overflows with warmth and interest. Be patient. Grab your knitting. Stick it out. This film is worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

The Other Guys