Julie & Julia

Julie & Julia My little sister turned this on today, and I was forced to watch, because it was either that, or get motion-sick watching my Portal avatar fall through an endless series of holes in an endless series of test chamber 14. I turned off the monitor and watched the movie.

As predicted, I finally regretted it. Although the acting shone, from all parties, the story itself just felt flat. I admired how the writer admitted that it was no happy ending, but felt truly frustrated that she couldn't admit that Julia was finally correct. The publicizing of her project as a bid for her own fame hid at its core some cutting disrespect. Julia Child may have been a public figure for many years, and a legend in her own right, but that doesn't make her free game for shameless exploitation, even if that exploitation is couched in the most adoring terms.

I also realized that although I truly admire Ms. Streep for her superb talent, I don't actually enjoy watching her. I bet she's murder on the stage, though. I bet she's worth hundreds a seat. Stanley Tucci, Amy Adams, and Jane Lynch all performed above my expectations (and I've got some pretty high expectations for all three of them).

Julie (Amy Adams) was unlikeable. If I can't like the main character, how am I to enjoy the film? The flimsy "romantic" tension felt more like PMS (from both genders). Perhaps they should have spent more time on the food.

Honestly, if you want a great cooking movie, watch Mostly Martha. It's got everything, and some cooking tips.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

UHF