The Wyvern Mystery

The Wyvern Mystery The plot of this miniseries follows that of Jane Eyre significantly, at least in generalities. A young woman of humble origins is raised in a wealthy household. She marries a young man of fortune, but must hide from her benefactor, who she is told would take his revenge for casting him off. There's a madwoman in the attic, somebody dies. . . Anyway, it's all pretty mundane. It doesn't shine, as a story. Even the ending pulls you down in to the dumps. It's way too Thomas Hardy for my personal taste.

I think I could re-write this much, much better. As a matter of fact, I think I will.

Besides the writing, this film is beautifully acted. All of the players convince me completely. The images are characteristically Gothic, but the camera seems a little too close-in sometimes. I suppose it's a technique for causing anxiety as part of its frightening appeal, but I more often felt blind. It's probably just a personal quirk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Brigham City

Lost in Austen