The Happiest Millionaire

The Happiest Millionaire Wow, the sixties were really swinging! This children's movie has a large, happy scene which takes place in a bar, and alcohol and tobacco feature heavily. I wasn't necessarily bothered, as I'm not a mother, but I suspect serious reasons that this film has never achieved real prominence (well, in addition to the mediocre music). It's not exactly Mary Poppins, despite what the cover says.

In addition to the inexplicably lax attitude toward controlled substances, the film also stretches for interminable lengths. The plot isn't anything to write home about, and large chunks of it are put on hold while we listen to the tedious show-music. I fast-forwarded the Entr'acte.

Pluses include Tommy Steele who always makes me smile, Greer Garson (but without the wig), and Lesley Ann Warren (though I'm not sure if Clue made me completely forgive her for Cinderella). Also, the alligators did a wonderfully random job.

Sadly, I've never been a fan of Ken, so the story's hero had little or no appeal for me. As such, I'm not a great judge of his value to the work as a whole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

The Other Guys