State of Play

State of Play (2009) It's very important to give yourself time to process a film before writing about it. As you look back at the dwindling memory of the experience of watching a movie, that Hollywood glow slowly fades into a more two-dimensional image that is much easier to criticize. Which is why I'm writing about this movie RIGHT NOW.

Effing brilliant. I loved every moment of this film that I didn't fast-forward (I get really anxious during moments of high tension, so I fast-forward them. I don't miss any dialogue, and I still get a fairly thorough idea of the images). Everything about this film amazed me. The cast were perfect, and I'm not even a very big Russell Crowe fan (well, I wasn't).

The story may not contain anything ground-breakingly unheard-of, but the whole thing plays with (almost as a masterpiece) the intrigue drama. I was constantly amazed how such a classic story became fresh through this production. I never felt deja vu, or had flashbacks to other films. I simply enjoyed the ride as if I'd never been before.

The director, Kevin Macdonald amazed me. The tone, character interactions, the whole piece just fit amazingly well. I'm giving a shout-out to Rodrigo Prieto as the cinematographer. I don't know if he's directly or indirectly responsible for the amazing way I absolutely DIDN'T get annoyed by too many boring close-close-ups, and the framing of the scenes in the garage, but I thoroughly enjoyed it all very, very much. I'm going to have to appreciate Justine Wright's work as film editor, too. I haven't heard of these people. You probably haven't heard of these people, but they do their jobs well.

Rotten Tomatoes critics generally agree with me (84% on the tomatometer), but they probably gave themselves time to digest, and dig out the flaws. Ultimately, finding flaws with this film would only give you a false impression about how it felt to watch it. I saw none while I was watching. It was just a lot of fun. I'm going to watch the BBC series now, because A) it's got John Simm (of the BBC's Life on Mars - the BEST television show I've seen since Wonderfalls) and B) it'll give the plot some stretching room. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

The Other Guys