Damn Yankees

Damn YankeesNow, the first twenty minutes started out as slowly as a real baseball game. I was ready to  switch it off (not least for my little sister, who's trying to sleep in the room above mine), but then they started dancing. I LOVE Bob Fosse's choreography! Gwen Verdon seemed unattractive and old at first, but when her personality really comes out, and her dancing just doesn't quit, the whole film warms up into something highly enjoyable.

Apparently, the love story between Joe and Meg takes a stronger role in the Broadway play, but in this film, Lola seems to pull in much more attention. She finally deserves it. That character seems strongly related to the witch from Into the Woods.


Ray Walston did a passable job as the devil, but I think I'm going to watch The Devil and Daniel Webster for comparison.

Gwen and Bob in the mambo number really hit something. The dancing in this movie is just great! I think it must be in spite of the writing, because I really couldn't stand The Pajama Game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in Austen

The Fountain

Salt